Top 10 facts about domes
Why choose geodesic dome homes ? Here are just a few reasons :
1. Dome homes are the strongest human shelter ever conceived. The spherical and symetrical shape allows domes to evenly and efficiently distribute the weight and stress along the entire structure.
2. Dome homes are the world's highest earthquake resistant structures. And they dont require any interior load bearing walls.
Shake Table Test Shows the Dome Shape is Virtually Earthquake-Proof3. Dome homes are aerodynamic. They can withstand hurricane winds in excess of 320 km/h.
4. Dome homes are the most efficient structures known to man, covering the most living area with the least amount of surface area.
5. Because of the high volume-to-surface-area ratio dome homes have at least 30% less surface area than other shaped buildings. That means it takes at least 30% less energy to heat or cool them.
6. The spherical design of a dome house results in highly efficient and effective air circulation. The ambient airflow inside the dome house is continuous, with no stagnant corners, requiring less energy to circulate air and maintain even temperatures.
7. Dome homes mirror the suns path thus maximizing solar gain all day, all year.
8. Some of the largest buildings in the world are domes; London’s millennium dome and the Eden domes were record breakers when they were built. The Miyazaki Ocean Dome in Japan is known as the world's largest indoor water park (300m-100m-38m).
9. Dome homes use less materials than conventional buildings and still outperform them in structural tests.
10. The larger the dome house, the more efficient it becomes. This is demonstrated by doubling the diameter, which encloses eight times the volume.
In depth documentaries about the history of geodesic domes and Buckminster Fuller can be found on docuindex.org